Heart of Kent Hospice contacted West Malling CEP School about working together to get children outside and active whilst raising money for charity. Together they organised a “colour run”, a mile long off-road run through local orchards, with a splash of colour literally thrown in, in the form of brightly coloured powder paints, with participants crossing the finishing line covered in a rainbow of colour!
The school contacted local organisations for sponsorship of the event and were able to secure contributions towards paint, printing and race numbers for the participants. The event as promoted locally with posters, flyers in book bags and e-mailings to parents of seven local primary schools. In addition, a facebook event page was established.
Heart of Kent Hospice supported in planning the route, health and safety risk assessments and organised the online entry registration system.
The run was targeted at families with 5 to 11 year olds, with 170 participants eventually taking part. In addition to the run, coffee and other refreshments, face painting, bouncy castle and a teddy tombola were all provided in the school hall, making the event a fun occasion for the whole family, and contributing to the total of £1,574 raised.
- Focus on a maximum of two charities and try to identify one close to the heart of the community
- Understand how schools communicate with children and parents and consider whether print is cost-effective
- Additional attractions (i.e. bouncy castle) make the occasion fun for all and can help raise additional funds
- Approach local supermarkets to provide water to hand to runners as they finish
- Stagger the start of the run, with the fastest runners heading out first
If you’re interested in organising a colour run and raising funds for Heart of Kent Hospice, call 01622 790195 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The final word
Hosting a colour run is a great way to make running fun and engaging, while the fundraising element goes further towards making running appealing to a new audience.