Physical activity is a general term which describes any movement the body makes which requires energy. There are many different types of physical activity including sport, walking, dancing, gardening and even housework.
Being physically active is one of the most important things you can do for your health and wellbeing. Taking part in regular physical activity can help:
- reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease
- reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome
- reduce your risk of some cancers
- strengthen your bones and muscles
- improve your mental health and mood
- maintain a healthy weight
- improve your ability to do daily activities and prevent falls, if you’re an older adult
- increase your chances of living longer
Below you can find out more about the amazing projects we are working on and some of the programmes available to help you manage your physical and mental health.