Case study: Ethnically Diverse Communities
In partnership with Safer Communities Alliance
The ‘Stepping Out’ programme was a collaboration of groups working together to tackle inequalities within vulnerable and Ethnically Diverse Communities across North Kent (in particular in Northfleet, Swanscombe, Gravesend, Wilmington, Greenhithe, Dartford and Stone).
The project delivered local park based activities in the community, including football, rounders, Zumba, street dance, afrobeats dance, boxing MMA sessions and basketball and gave out 180 sports equipment boxes to those most in need.
- Refocus Project Ltd
- YGM Dance Academy
- All Shades of Life
- Box Out of It
- Engaged with 250 young people through the outreach sports sessions and by providing sports equipment boxes.
- Identified four Ethnically Diverse Community volunteer leaders who were able to motivate the young people to come to the sessions and the project can utilise their skills for ongoing community engagement.
- Now have a new dance academy up and running with over 30 young girls from Ethnically Diverse Communities who could not afford to attend otherwise.
- Recruited two unemployed young workers and paid them part time and one older ex-offender from an Ethnically Diverse Community with lived experience. He has achieved health and safety level 3 training and his level 2 safeguarding training and first aid.
- The local youth service in Dartford have asked the project for training on how to engage with Ethnically Diverse Communities, as they have struggled to engage with the communities in the past.
- Darker evenings and weather was more of a challenge moving into the winter months.
- A number of young people come straight from Eastern Europe and explaining to them the need to isolate before taking part was a challenge.