Sports men and women with ambitions to be selected to represent Great Britain on the world stage at future Olympic and Paralympic Games are to be supported in their training with funding from Kent County Council.
The 15 sportsmen and women represent a range of sports and include disabled and non disabled performers. They are all from Kent and all have been nominated and recognised by their sport’s national governing body. Each gets £1,000.
This is the fourteenth year that Kent County Council, via Active Kent & Medway, has provided this support to top sports performers. Previous recipients have included:
- Double Olympian, European and World Athletics medallist, Jack Green.
- Paralympian and GB Wheelchair Rugby Captain at London 2012, Steve Brown.
This year there are also a number of athletes who are aiming for the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham including; Tom Bosworth (Athletics), James Hall (Gymnastics), Courtney Tulloch (Gymnastics), Ross Wilson (Table Tennis) and Will Bayley (Table Tennis). In addition, Millie Knight (Alpine Skiing) who achieved a Bronze medal at the 2022 Winter Paralympic Games in Beijing will also be one of those receiving support. All of whom have been supported by Kent County Council in their sporting careers to date.
Mike Hill, Cabinet Member for Community and Regulatory Services at Kent County Council stated, “I am delighted that we are able to support a number of Kent’s talented sports performers with targeted grants and hope that this support will assist them in their future ambitions to be successful at major sporting events on the international stage.”
Those receiving funding this year are:
- Millie Knight – Alpine Skiing
- James Hall – Gymnastics
- Courtney Tulloch – Gymnastics
- Jimmy Dean Wood – Boxing
- Millie Morris – Athletics
- Lucy Thornewell – Handball
- Thomas Bosworth – Athletics
- Issy Fassnidge – Skeleton
- Ross Wilson – Table Tennis
- Harry Goodwin – Lawn Bowls
Tonbridge & Malling
- Jemima Yeats-Brown – Judo
- Ryana Macdonald-Gay – Hockey
- Tori Sellors – Rugby Union
- Will Bayley – Table Tennis
- Fern Sneddon – Swimming
For further information on Kent’s Talented Performers who have potential to be selected for Team England at the 2022 Commonwealth Games as well as future international competitions please visit: www.activekent.org/talent